Monday, January 17, 2011

Toronto Police Sergeant Ryan Russell's funeral

Update: See my photos of the Jan 18 procession and at the Convention Centre on my post here.

Toronto Police have released details on the funeral service for fallen Police Sergeant Ryan Russell, the "funeral will be held on Tuesday, January 18, 2011, at 1 p.m., at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, South Building, 222 Bremner Boulevard."

From information provided by the police: Shortly after 6 a.m., on Wednesday, January 12, 2011, a 52 Division officer was involved in a theft−of−vehicle investigation in the Dupont Avenue/Davenport Road area.
The officer who was struck and killed during the investigation has been identified as Sergeant Ryan Russell, 35, an 11−year member of the Service. Sergeant Russell joined on October 26, 1999, graduated on March 24, 2000, and was assigned to 54 Division. On May 8, 2006, he was assigned to the Gun and Gang Task Force. On May 24, 2010, Ryan Russell was assigned to 31 Division. He was promoted, on August 30, 2010, to the rank of Sergeant and assigned to 52 Division. Sergeant Russell is survived by his wife and two−year−old son.

Officers will marshal at University Avenue between Dundas and College Street (just south of Queens Park) and will march southbound starting at 11 a.m.  They will continue west on Wellington Street, south onto Simcoe Street and then west on Bremner Blvd, arriving at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (south building). Emergency Services (in uniform or with ID) can ride GO Transit for free when they are attending the tribute and services for Officer Ryan.

 The public is invited to join the funeral and reception - arrive between 10 and 11:30 a.m. The funeral service will consist of the following.



Service led by: 
Reverend Walter Kelly - Chaplain Toronto Police Service
Assisted by: 
Reverend Dr. John Joseph Mastandrea 
Volunteer Chaplain 51 Division
Father James Hannah, Volunteer Chaplain 53 Division
Staff Superintendent Jeff McGuire, Toronto Police Service
Processional 
O Canada -  Police Constable Melissa Elaschuk
‘Act of Remembrance’
Welcome and Greetings - Staff Superintendent Jeff McGuire
Opening Remarks & Pastoral Prayer - Reverend Walter Kelly
A  Policeman’s Prayer
Scripture Reading - Book of Wisdom 4:7-15  
Reverend Dr. John Joseph Mastandrea
Tributes
The Honourable David C. Onley, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
Minister Julian Fantino
Ryan’s Song 
Composed & performed by Kimberley Plaseski Dunn

A Policeman’s Prayer
Another day, Lord to do my work, 
unsure of what lies ahead. 
It may hold the chance to help those in need, 
and that would be my desire. 
I pray that you will empower me to be a 
peacemaker to all I come in contact with. 
To the helpless, may I be a helper, 
to the distressed, may I be a comfort. 
To those who plan evil, may I be a deterrent, 
and to those who have carried out their plans 
may I be a sword of justice so they will no longer 
prey on the weak and hurting. 
I humbly ask that you surround me with your angels, 
and a wall of fire for protection. 
And if, in the course of your plan, 
I find this day to be my last, 
the concern of my life is that you would be 
the Father to my children and, 
the provider to my wife. 
In Jesus’ name, Amen

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Doors Open

Scarborough Bluffs

Pride

Redball

Beaches

Graffiti

Lake Ontario

Nathan Phillips Square

Transportation